Vehicle Systems Design Engineer
Location: Multimatic Technical Centre, Markham, Ontario, Canada
Located in Markham, Ontario, Canada, Multimatic Technical Centre (MTC) is part of Multimatic’s Engineering Group. MTC provides advanced design, simulation, testing and prototyping services to Multimatic’s production divisions and to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s), niche vehicle manufacturers, motorsports organizations, military equipment contractors and consumer products companies.
MTC houses key engineering, testing and development capabilities under one roof, enabling rapid turnaround and tight integration between departments (vehicle systems engineering, production engineering, predictive methods, product testing and validation, composites, fabrication and prototyping). Additional specialized services utilize MTC’s full -vehicle multi-post test rig, and a proprietary vehicle dynamics simulator. These services are further enhanced by the capabilities of a fully-equipped motorsports department.
The Vehicle Systems Design Department at MTC provides engineering development support services to OEM’s and a wide variety of outside customers. The products that are developed in the Vehicle Systems Department range from low-volume components to high performance road cars (like the Ford GT). Development of advanced lightweight structures, many utilizing carbon fibre, is spearheaded by this department.
The Vehicle Systems Department at MTC is currently seeking a Vehicle Systems Design Engineer. Note that this position is not remote based; the candidate needs to work on-site at our Markham location.
Facility Address: 85 Valleywood Drive, Markham, Ontario L3R 5E5
Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop optimized design solutions for industries including automotive, communications, motorsports, etc. Determine the best combination of materials and manufacturing processes taking into consideration production volume, performance requirements, and cost. Design work will be performed using either NX or CATIA CAD software. Throughout the development process the Vehicle Systems Design Engineer will have to work closely with other departments at MTC (Analysis, Prototype, Composites, Testing, etc.), suppliers, and the Customer.
- Lead the design and development of new products delivering 3D CAD and 2D detail drawings suitable for manufacture
- Ensure that the Customer’s requirements, which include project timing, are understood and met
- Review all related supplier/customer/regulatory specifications and requirements for components
- Perform manual calculations and tolerance stacks as required
- Perform packaging and clearance/swing studies
- Review results/drawings to ensure that there are no errors
- Create reports and releases as required
- Consider alternative solutions for given tasks or problems
- Be cognizant of prototype builds and review progress with an eye for product improvement and potential build issues
- Determine when analysis and testing is required
- Compare the predicted and measured performance as data becomes available
- Conduct engineering and design reviews as required
- Keep supervisor informed of all program issues
- Maintain project folder and data
- Attend meetings, present results, and perform demonstrations as required
- Ensure that minutes are taken at all formal meetings
- Document/present information obtained from conferences and training courses as required
- Ensure good communication with other team members
- Prepare timing estimates as required
- Assign tasks to co-workers as per direction of supervisor
- Provide training, guidance, and assistance to co-workers as required
- Participate in MTC’s continuous improvement activities
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally
Education and Experience:
- College or university degree in a relevant engineering discipline (mechanical, mechatronics, or automotive engineering)
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in concept development and detail design of a variety of body and vehicle systems with a solid background in GD&T
- Extensive experience designing lightweight components/structures
- Expert knowledge of CAD software (NX and CATIA are preferred)
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with all levels of employees/ stakeholders: customers, suppliers, engineers, etc...
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to independently manage workload
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced, team environment, able to adapt to find solutions and meet deadlines as design challenges arise
- Knowledge of high volume manufacturing methods; welding, stamping, forging, casting, injection molding, cold-forming, machining, etc.
- Able to create DFMEAs and have good knowledge of PFMEAs
- Familiarity with Quality procedures
- High level of interest in automotive engineering
- Body surfacing CAD experience is an asset
- Knowledge of carbon fibre component manufacturing techniques is an asset
- Hands-on build/fabrication skills is an asset
If you are interested in this position, apply by sending us your cover letter and resume.
We thank all interested candidates in advance; however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
As part of our commitment to ensuring our employment practices are fair, accessible, and inclusive of persons with disabilities, recruitment-related accommodations for disabilities, are available upon request throughout the recruitment and assessment process for applicants with disabilities.