Composites Technician – Laminator
Location: Multimatic Special Vehicle Operations Europe, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
As part of a new capital investment project, Multimatic has established a new dedicated facility to manufacture carbon fibre reinforced components for the premium automotive industry. This brand new facility incorporates an extensive list of new equipment and facilities to enhance Multimatic’s leadership in this field.
Together with being part of a start-up venture, this is an exciting opportunity for anyone who desires hands-on experience with components destined for high performance vehicles, advanced composites and has a passionate interest in automobiles.
Due to this new facility, Multimatic is looking for Composite Technicians – Laminator who will be responsible for constructing complex composite parts from resin-impregnated carbon fibre, glass fibre and aramid cloth.
Multimatic, Unit B2, 18 Glebe Road, Huntingdon, PE29 7DL.
- Manufacture tooling and components for high performance vehicles.
- Prepare patterns for tool manufacture, layup carbon fibre tooling material.
- Verify material kit received.
- Prepare and apply sealants and release agents
- Hand layup pre-preg carbon fibre material as per instructions provided
- Create vacuum for autoclave cure ensuring no leaks and that the bag forms complete shape of the tool including bag checks for leaks and placement within the autoclave.
- Load & unload autoclave (positioning tools to encourage efficient part temperature control).
- Connect up vacuum and sensor Lines.
- Structural bonding of metallic and composite materials
- Use of film adhesives and honeycomb (aluminium and Nomex)
- Achieve production schedule
- Ensure the facility environment is kept safe, clean and organized
- Observe all company safety rules, policies and procedures
- Attend all required training courses
- Adopt and proactive Kaizen lean manufacturing principles and concepts.
- Interpret ply orientation based on knowledge of fibre orientation (0⁰-90⁰/±45⁰).
- Ability to create templates from instructions provided.
- Use of measuring equipment.
- Laminate to an A Class level.
- Create vacuum using various consumables.
- Removing cured components from tools.
- Pattern, shuttering and preparation.
- Understanding of tooling with perimeter bag and envelop.
- Knowledge of tooling support structures.
- Comprehend the health and safety protocols of Composite materials.
- Experience in composites tooling substrates.
- The understanding of using different types of tooling on expansion.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Provide training, guidance and assistance to co-workers as required
- Competence with Microsoft Office.
- We will consider candidates with all levels of experience.
- Experience with composite assembly technics (adhesives and mechanical).
- Experience in the automotive manufacturing industry.
This role is offered on a permanent or contract basis.
Closing date for applications is November 30th 2023
If you are interested in this position, apply by sending us your cover letter and resume.
We thank all interested candidates in advance; however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
As part of our commitment to ensuring our employment practices are fair, accessible, and inclusive of persons with disabilities, recruitment-related accommodations for disabilities, are available upon request throughout the recruitment and assessment process for applicants with disabilities.