Design Engineer - Suspension
Location: Multimatic Technical Centre, Markham, Ontario, Canada
Located in Markham, Ontario, Canada, Multimatic Technical Centre (MTC) is part of Multimatic’s Engineering Group. MTC provides advanced design, simulation, testing and prototyping services to Multimatic’s production divisions and to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s), niche vehicle manufacturers, motorsports organizations, military equipment contractors and consumer products companies. We Are Multimatic
MTC houses key engineering, testing and development capabilities under one roof, enabling rapid turnaround and tight integration between departments (vehicle systems engineering, production engineering, predictive methods, product testing and validation, composites, fabrication and prototyping). Additional specialized services utilize MTC’s full-vehicle multi-post test rig, and a proprietary vehicle dynamics simulator. These services are further enhanced by the capabilities of a fully-equipped motorsports department.
The continued growth of the Structures & Suspension Group has resulted in the need for additional Suspension Design Engineers.
The Structures & Suspension Design Department at MTC develops high volume automotive structures & suspension designs that are manufactured by Multimatic’s industrial facilities located in Canada, the US, and Mexico. The Structures & Suspension Department is also responsible for Multimatic’s R&D initiatives targeting innovation of automotive structures & suspension technology.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop designs for high-volume automotive applications that are robust, lightweight, and cost effective. This will involve:
- Generating Innovative Design Concepts
- Detailed 3d Cad Modelling and Packaging Within the Vehicle Environment (In Either NX Or Catia)
- Managing Design Development for Specific Projects, Communicate and Collaborate with Suppliers and Internal/External Customers
- Generating DFMEA’s And Component Technical Specifications
- Defining And Coordinating CAE Activities with MTC’S Predictive Methods Department
- Iterative Design Development to Meet All Performance Requirements, Incorporate Design for Manufacturing Feedback, Material Selection
- Creating GD&T Drawings of Components and Assemblies (In Either NX Or Catia)
- Initiating Design Verification Testing and Creating and Maintaining DVP&R’s
- Data Review and Analysis of Performance and Durability Test Results
- Root Cause Analysis Based on Test Results
- Assisting with hands-on Prototype Assembly
- Participating In Customer Vehicle Tuning Sessions (some travel required)
- Support of Troubleshooting for Manufacturing Production Line
Throughout the development process the Design Engineer will have to work closely with other departments at MTC (Analysis, Prototype, Testing, etc.), Multimatic’s manufacturing division(s), suppliers, and the OEM.
Education and Experience:
- Applicants must have a college or university degree in a relevant engineering discipline (mechanical, mechatronics, or automotive engineering)
- 3D modelling in CAD software (NX and CATIA are preferred)
- Knowledge of GD&T
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, expected to interact with other engineers, customers, and suppliers
- Organizational skills and ability to independently manage workload
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team environment, able to adapt to solve problems and meet deadlines as design challenges arise
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing methods; welding, stamping, forging, casting, injection molding, cold-forming, machining, etc.
- Knowledge of typical automotive materials; steel grades, aluminum alloys, engineering plastics, rubber, etc.
Experience in one or more of the following areas will be considered an asset:
- Vehicle dynamics and suspension system design
- Knowledge of metals failure mode analysis and fractography
- Knowledge of bearing design, bearing failure modes, and lubrication
- Research and Development/Innovation in the area of Automotive Design
Multimatic offers a comprehensive benefits package, as well as a friendly work environment. This is an on-site position at the Markham location.